KBVR-FM

KBVR-FM

KBVR-FM

Listening to blink-182’s new album more than One More Time…

The Mark, Tom, and Travis show returns one more time, or instead, returning for good this time.

The classic blink-182 lineup of Mark Hoppus, Tom DeLonge, and Travis Barker has returned for their long-awaited reunion and ninth studio album in 2023. One More Time… is their second reunion album with Tom DeLonge, Mark Hoppus, and Travis Barker after the release of Neighborhoods and their first reunion in 2011.

As a long-time fan of the band, as soon as I heard that DeLonge was returning to blink-182 after eight years, I was eagerly awaitng in anticipation for the release of this album. The band delivered arguably one of the best albums of their careers, and the anticipation I had for the past year paid off.

The album One More Time… harkens back to the nostalgic sound of the days of Enema of the State and Take Off Your Pants and Jacket, combined with sounds from other side projects from the San Diego natives. A wide range of diverse music styles span this album, yet the sound remains authentic to who the band is when this trio plays music together.

Right off the bat, the band opens the album with “ANTHEM PART 3,” which follows “Anthem Pt.2” and “Anthem” respectfully. It is a classic angsty pop-punk anthem that takes the best of both previous “Anthem” songs but puts a mature spin on the two as a song that has grown up and experienced life but still makes it enjoyable to listen to.

The band intertwines the classic thundering sounds of Barker’s drums and the strumming of DeLonge’s choppy punk rock guitar chords with acknowledging the old band drama with a poignant and emphatic line from DeLonge ‘I won’t fail,’ which you believe him after having left the band twice. The song is a mature declaration from the band to put all the past band drama aside and move forward.

What follows this opener is 18 tracks with a couple of joke songs, such as “TURN THIS OFF!,” which are still classic blink-182 songs with primary vocals by Barker on “F**K FACE,” which is a hardcore punk song with both Barker and DeLonge yelling at each other back and forth with Tim Armstrong of Rancid playing guitar.

The band dips into everything they’ve done in the past but in a way that gives even more appreciation than in previous years. You can hear it across the track list from pop-punk anthems like “DANCE WITH ME,” “OTHERSIDE,” “BAD NEWS,” and “WHEN WE WERE YOUNG.” All have their sing-along moments and classic blink-182 hooks that prompt any fan to sing along to them.

The two bonus songs on the album “SEE YOU” and “CUT ME OFF” have catchy hooks, which is beyond me as to why they were left off the album, but I am glad to hear these two were released, nonetheless.

There are also nods to The Cure in “FELL IN LOVE,” an interpolation of “Close to Me” by The Cure, whose frontman Robert Smith collaborated with them in 2003’s “All of This” off their Untitled record. There’s also the Angels & Airwaves-esque track “HURT” and a shelved Boxcar Racer track that both DeLonge and Barker turned into the track “TERRIFIED.”

A track that stood out to me and that I keep returning to is “BLINK WAVE,” which like the track suggests, is a New Wave-inspired blink-182 track. Why I like it boils down to two points: new wave music and blink-182, which is the best of both worlds for me as a fan of both things. It is a very catchy song with elements of pop with that eighties-era nostalgia, and for those who aren’t fans of the band, this may be your new favorite song of theirs.

One of the tracks that has gained the most attention, and rightfully so, is the title track, which tells of the band’s history in a very poignant way. The lyrics “I wish they told us it shouldn’t take a sickness / Or airplanes falling out the sky,” refer to both Hoppus’ diagnosis with cancer, which is also referenced in “YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU GOT,” and Barker experiencing a plane crash in 2008.

Not only that, but I must mention it’s been put as a closing song on their setlists, but while it could be interpreted as a final go-around, it’s anything but that for the trio.

In an interview prior to the release of the album, DeLonge explained that One More Time... is the last time the band will mess things up, and they will cherish being the best people they can be in the band.

I think that Tom makes a great point as this album is excellent as this was a way for the band to heal, but One More Time… also points to an exciting future for blink-182 beyond 2023.

The album, as I can describe, is like a grown-up version of Enema of the State with a mix of untitled sounds and life experience. The nostalgic vibes this album gives make it a repeat listen for any blink-182 fan, taking you back to your high school and middle school days. This album is on par with their Untitled and Enema of the State and is some of their best work in quite some time.

While it may not be perfect for blink-182 fans, the band has come back in a big way, and as a fan of the band, I want to express thanks for making this album and for Barker producing this album as well. I am excited to see them perform some of those new songs in 2024.

RATING: 9.8/10, great album and no notes.

TRACKLIST

ANTHEM PART 3

DANCE WITH ME

FELL IN LOVE

TERRIFIED

ONE MORE TIME

MORE THAN YOU KNOW TURN THIS OFF!

WHEN WE WERE YOUNG

EDGING

YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’VE GOT

BLINK WAVE

BAD NEWS

HURT (INTERLUDE)

TURPENTINE

F**K FACE

OTHER SIDE CHILDHOOD

CUT ME OFF

SEE YOU