KBVR-FM

KBVR-FM

KBVR-FM

A Bi Girl and Her Boyfriend: A Playlist for Pride

This one goes out to all the bisexual girls and their boyfriends going to pride. Say what you will about boyfriends coming to pride, but it is important to remember the purpose of celebrating queerness in June. Pride events and marches show solidarity, identity, acceptance, and support. I see many greater infringements and oppressive forces to queer communities than a boyfriend showing up to support their partner. So, in opposition of the exclusivity and lack of perspective this take has, this playlist celebrates relationships, even if someone in the couple is male or straight. There are songs that have cultural importance or lessons for bisexuals, and anyone else, in relationships.

Possibly the most obvious choice for this playlist is “Sweater Weather,” a song that exudes intimacy and coolness, while also being generally genderless. Full of sensual lines, “touch my neck and I’ll touch yours,” euphoric ideas, this song is exemplary for relationships. I’m not exactly certain how it came to be an anthem for bisexuals everywhere, but I’m sure it has something to do with Tumblr. Regardless, this song is fully cemented into bisexual culture. Sweater Weather exudes intimacy and coolness, while also dismissing gender expectations.

In “Please Please Please,” Sabrina Carpenter’s newest single, she explores feelings of desperation, hoping her boyfriend doesn’t embarrass her. This, for many partners, is a relatable feeling considering the current climate for boyfriends at pride. Singing “I tell them it’s just your culture and everyone rolls their eyes” and “don’t bring me to tеars when I just did my makeup so nice,” Carpenter captures this mix of affection and frustration. Her frank lyricism and outright confidence to dance in tiny outfits on stage will take Carpenter far, even among queer people.

Chappell Roan’s rise to stardom has launched her to popularity in more than just queer circles. From opening small shows to supporting Olivia Rodrigo and headlining Kentuckiana Pride Festival, Roan is becoming more mainstream without sacrificing her identity. With her drag persona and powerful vocals and winking sexuality, “HOT TO GO!” is one of her best pop hits. Roan’s stage presence and ability to command massive crowds to do the silly cheerleader style dance to “HOT TO GO!” is iconic. However, a bi woman teaching her boyfriend the silly cheerleader style dance is a rite of passage.

With the wryness reminiscent of Girlpool and sound reminiscent of Soccer Mommy, “Told Ya So” by Adult Mom, delves into ideas of acceptance and validation. Stevie Knipe asks listeners if they’ve been told it is okay to cry, feel doubt, and kiss girls. These lessons are not just important for queer people, but also men. “Told ya so,” although not digging deep on personal notes, can offer ease and warmth to powerful questions around love, queerness, and processing feelings. There is something in this song for every individual to connect to. Men may need to hear it is okay to cry and queer people may need to hear “you’re gonna find a way out” even in the face of uncertainty.

For an ultimate pride experience, “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga is a classic. “Don’t be a drag, just be a queen” might settle the debate about bringing a boyfriend to pride. As Gaga champions in this song, love your peers, love yourself, and celebrate this. There is no room for prejudice or spite at pride events. After 23 years of making music, it is undeniable that she knows how to empower and entertain the masses.

Check out the entire “Bi girl and her boyfriend” playlist on KBVR-FM’s Spotify.